Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Blog Post 1: Culture of one- Victoria Taskey

There are many different things that I could talk about. There are an endless amount of factors that play a role in defining exactly who we are as a person and how we react to the situations that we encounter throughout our life. The first thing I would like to talk about is my family. I have a very close knit extended family. To be more specific I have roughly 30 cousins who live in the Spokane area, and who I spend birthdays and holidays with, and have done so since I was a child. This is something that I am very thankful for because not everyone has so many family members that they are close with, nor do hey live in the same city. I am very fortunate for that. Despite this close knit family of mine I am and only child, because I didn't have siblings many people assume that I was brought up as a spoiled brat, that I don't know how to share, etc. However because of my cousins, especially my cousin Ashleigh whom is a meer 3 weeks older than I, I was able to share, fight, and love like anyone else with siblings but I also learned to need my own space. I am not someone who is used to sharing ALL my space and ALL my privacy with others. Due to this all I would say that I know how to interact with others but only once I am comfortable with them.

The next person I would like to talk about it my best friend Chris. I had grown up in a Catholic household but my trust I relegion was sub paar. In middle school I met Chris and he invited me to go to youth group at his church. I went because I wanted to hang out with my friend but little did I know at then time just how much he loved Jesus. His love for God is the most incredible thing I have ever encountered. This man is now a junior at Gonzaga and wants to be a preist when he is older, he is this 6' 7", bisexual, Native American. He is a sight to see and his love for God is what truly inspired me to get in touch with my own personal beliefs and I can not than him enough for teaching me to just be me and love God for how he made you.

Lastly I would like to talk about my high school marketing teacher Brian Venema. I really enjoyed his class in high school and in a way he became like a mentor to me. He is the one who inspired me to become more outgoing and to challenge my own ideals. He is someone who was always very supportive and pushed me to do DECA competition, because of this I am going for my degree in Marketing. He is the one that helped me discover that I want to go into a job that is both analytical and creative because I enjoy both. I am also very thankful for him pushing me to do DECA competition because it really helped my self esteem and I learned to love public speaking because of this. Overall my family, especially my cousins, my best friend and my favorite high school teacher are just a few people whom have helped me to become the type of person that I am today. However I think that it is important to note that because of the experiences we continue to have throughout our lives, that the person I am today is not quite the same as the person I will be tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment