Monday, January 23, 2017

Final Blog Post


I have learned a lot throughout this class that I knew a little about before, but with not much details. This class has definitely been an eye opening experience for me, in that it allowed me to learn things about the different Asian American groups that I didn't know before I took this class.  The one big historical thing that really hit me while taking this class was where this all took place mostly for the Chinese Immigrants. Growing up in Aptos, California which is a part of the Bay Area. I never realized everything that took place in San Francisco and the surrounding area. It was interesting to be learning about things that happened, especially when there were a lot of events that took place near to where I grew up. One big thing that I never really knew that much about was Angel Island in San Francisco Bay. Im sure I probably learned about it growing up, but there wasn't that much that I could remember before this class. It was something that I didn't know too much about, but Im sure it is something that I have seen multiple times driving across the Golden Gate Bridge and going up north. But another thing along with that is the China Town in San Francisco. I have been through China Town a few times growing up but never knew the history behind it. So after learning about it in this class, it almost hits harder to me since it is a place that I have been to, and when I was there I was one of the tourists walking down the streets like it is talked about in Takaki. 


There wasn't one particular piece of literature or film that I felt affected by the most instead there were parts out of Takaki that I felt effected by which I mentioned above with Angel Island and China town. The thing that affected me the most from Takaki was just the different locations that were mentioned throughout the book. Since there were times in the book that talked about Santa Cruz and Watsonville which is the area where I grew up and have lived my whole life. But there are also some connections to Washington and there was a little part that talked about Spokane. Its weird to think whats happened in the places I have lived back in the day. To me it makes the history behind things more powerful or more meaning when you have been to the places that you're learning about or have learned. This class has affected me, in that Im sure the next time Im in San Francisco and see the different things we learned like Angel Island and China Town, it will make me think of everything that I learned in this class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment