Monday, January 23, 2017

Blog Post 7

I think that the most important thing that Asian American literature/history can teach us relates to the CRT tenet that every culture has a unique story to tell. Throughout the course using both the Takaki and Bold Words texts along with Professor Sugano's insight we have been given an extremely informative view into the past and present of Asian American society. This has been quite interesting for me personally given the fact that I have a couple very close friends whom are Asian American. Before this class I had never wanted to discuss or even think about the immigration or experiences of their families. After studying Asian American literature I feel as though I can better understand my friend's cultural customs and experiences. Additionally, it is interesting to see the progression from the first wave of Asian immigrants and learn about their experiences in America. Then following up throughout the 20th century and finally seeing the Asian and American culture as it influences my friends. For example one of my Indian American friends is the first in his family to be born in the U.S. and has stronger ties to Indian culture than one of my Japanese American friends who is a Yonsei. I believe that though studying Asian American literature/history I have a better understanding and way to connect with Asian American friends, peers, and colleagues.

No comments:

Post a Comment