Friday, January 13, 2017

Culture of One family history

When my older cousin Sarah got married about five years ago, I helped my mom make up a book about our family history. Sarah, who was born to 16 year old parents who broke up shortly afterwards, spent her childhood being shuffled back and forth between her mom and her dad, didn't have a sense of the history of her dad's side of the family. The scrapbook we made was a way of telling Sarah the Domitrovich family history, but in the end it also helped me to discover where my mom's side of the family came from... and made me very grateful that I don't have a long and hard to spell last name!

Based on old pictures my grandpa had of his grandfather and some digging on ancestry.com, we found out that my great-great grandfather, Antone Domitrovich, was born either in Hungary or Yugoslavia (we aren't sure which since the census records aren't very accurate and state both) and immigrated to America in 1886 at the age of 19. There he met and married his wife, Mary, who was born in Austria, and also immigrated to the US in 1886 at 19. The couple eventually made their way to Anaconda, Montana (where the Domitrovich family lived until the 1970s) and had eight children: Mary, Anthony, Emil (who died at birth), Michael (my great-grandfather), Rudolph, Joseph, Frank, and Amelia. Unfortunately, this was all of the information that my grandpa was able to tell me and my mom about his grandpa, since he had never met him. Michael was born and raised in Anaconda, Montana, and worked as a pipe fitter for the Anaconda smelter. He married a woman named Mary Traynor and they married later on in their lives (which is why my grandpa never got to meet his grandparents). During World War II, the family moved to Bremerton, Washington so that Michael could work at a shipyard to help the war effort. While my grandpa and his brother were both born in Bremerton, the family moved back to Anaconda. Mary Traynor died when my grandpa was four years old and Michael never remarried, raising his two boys alone and living in Anaconda until he died in 1981. 

We don't know a lot about the Traynor side of the family, since Mary Traynor died when my grandfather was very young. We do know that Mary had been married before her marriage to Michael, and my grandpa doesn't like to talk about it, because there was something a little mysterious about what had happened in his mother's previous life. We do know that Mary's father immigrated to New York from Ireland and that her mother had been born in the US but had Irish born parents. They made their way to Anaconda, Montana as well and raised their children there. 

Unfortunately, all we know about the Domitrovich/Traynor side of the family is the historical pieces... we don't have any actual stories about their immigration or what life was like for them in Montana. Because my grandpa was born later in his parent's lives, he didn't get to know his grandparents, so he has no stories from them about his family's history. However, it is nice to know even this much about my family's history, especially since we had some pictures that we could go off of, which added some reality to the history - it made these people seem real. 

No comments:

Post a Comment