Friday, January 13, 2017

Family History

My grandparents were born and raised in Vietnam, they married in 1963 and had 4 children. After they married my grandpa was drafted in the army and at home my grandma and her children made clothes and sold it at local markets. My grandpa was a former reeducation camp detainee for about 7 years and after he got released from the camp they opened a very small restaurant. The small restaurant didn’t help them much with their financial situation so they decided to immigrate to America for a better economic.


Sine my grandpa was a former reeducation camp detainee he was able to bring his family to America through the US government program called Humanitarian Operation Program. The 5 of them (not including my mom because she decided to stay in Vietnam and come later with my dad) landed in Spokane on November 1991. When they first came they got help from a Vietnamese Organization in Spokane to help them out with money and a place to stay for the first few weeks. After about 3 weeks they rented a small house, 2 bedroom and 1 bathroom, at the Northside of Spokane and began to work. My grandpa worked for a garden company, my grandma with her daughters worked at a sewing company, and my uncle went to college and worked at a Korean restaurant as a part-timer. Something that I found interesting is that the owner of that small house married to my youngest aunt, which is her husband right now. Even though all the kids moved out of the house my grandparents still live in the same house because they want to keep all the beautiful memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment