Monday, January 23, 2017

Final Blog

Growing up coming from two different backgrounds has allowed me to see things in different points of view. One thing this class has helped me accomplish would be getting to know my roots a little better as well as learning from the hardship these different Asian American groups had and still have to go through. To add on the the story about my family, My mothers ancestors came from Scotland and Ireland, where my dads ancestors came from Africa. Im not quite sure which part of Africa, also his ancestors were slaves. Its cool seeing how different two people can be, but yet create something so awesome. I also have been relating things i have read in Takaki as well as the different films to daily life and the racism that still exist. Its amazing how many thing you can catch if you tune in and just listen. One CRT term that i find to be true every day is that "We all our racist". No matter if you're Black, White or Asian, this is one thing we all have in common.

One thing in Takaki that i still see today or can relate to is when he talks about the Filipinos on the plantations and how the Asian groups are housed below the white man. This is something you still see everyday, the white man getting more opportunities to succeed then those with color. Usually the higher level of wealth belong to white men, they have the power. This is also see in politics. One literature piece i could relate to would be the short film where the young Asian boy visits Angel island. The short film was almost just a remembrance of those who were there. This reminded me of going back to my grand fathers house and remembering the good times we shared together.

This class was awesome and I learned a ton of great and powerful things that will impact my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment