Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Blog 7

Over the course of this class I definitely broadened my knowledge of Asian American history.  Learning about the immigration and experiences these Asian Americans faced really opened my eyes. I had no idea how much influence Asian Americans actually had in America. One piece of literature I will remember was not an assigned piece but it was actually the film The Color of Fear. It was really cool to watch an open, unfiltered discussion on the topic of racism. It allowed me to see the consequences of racism and discrimination on past and present society. Typically, racism is a topic people tend to steer clear of. One quote from the film about racism goes, “talking about it helps, it loses its mystery, its power” (The Color of Fear).
While each group has their own experiences and unique journey, much of the hardships they faced in America can be comparable. They faced trouble with jobs, land, people, laws, and receiving credit for their accomplishments. “Many existing history books give Asian Americans only passing notice or overlook them altogether… ‘One is often led to believe that all our forbearers came from Europe’” (Takaki 6). Much of our ideas are shaped by what we learn in school. If the history books leave out that part of our history, we are taught to think it was not as important as what is written down in the book.
Taking this class definitely changes the way I think about American History. It has given me a greater respect for these Asian immigrants as well as an interest in my ancestral History.  

No comments:

Post a Comment