Friday, January 13, 2017

Family History

My full name is Keegan Chow Loo but my parents call me KC. My middle name is Chow, named after my great grandfather Chow Loo on my dad’s side. Growing up, my dad would tell me stories about things my great grandpa did. I was always fascinated to learn more about him and this assignment has really allowed me to figure out the story of my middle name.
            At the age of 10, Chow Loo (great grandfather) immigrated to Oahu, Hawaii with his father. He knew no English. After a few months, his father went back to china and left him in Hawaii to fend for himself. He was left with some family friends but was all on his own. He had to learn English, go to English school and Chinese school, while supporting himself through it all. Eventually, he landed a job at Pearl Harbor as a Machinist, where, he made and fixed machines. Over the years, he worked his way through the ranks and achieved the position of master machinist. He was able to send his two Nisei sons to Saint Louis High School. Saint Louis is one of the top private high schools in Hawaii. He was also able to support my grandfather, his youngest son, through Optometry school.
            Every time I hear stories of my great grandfather, I can’t help thinking how hard of a worker he was. He excelled in Hawaii all on his own. My great grandpa came with nothing, and was able to accomplish so much. He was able to support his sons through school and provide them with luxuries and opportunities. He was well respected within the Chinese community because of his knowledge and success. My dad remembers people always coming over to my great grandpa’s house for advice, help with English, or simple favors. Learning the story of my middle name was very interesting. It lead to the stories of Chow Loo, and is directly connected to the immigration of my father’s side of the family to Hawaii.  

No comments:

Post a Comment