Friday, January 13, 2017

Family History

I come from both parts of the spectrum. My mother is caucasian and grew up in the better off communities on the West side of Washington. My father a African American man who grew up in Jacksonville Florida, during this time the area was very unstable and poverty was very common. My father has three sibling, and so does my mother. My grandmother who took care of my father and his three siblings was a hard worker and work for Amtrak during the middle of the 1970's. There my father traveled with his sibling wherever his mother went. My father ended up in Seattle, and never left.

Once he made his the West his home he realized he was going to have to branch out and find new friends. One thing i always remember my father telling me was how genuine the people were in Seattle compared to those in the South. My father ended up attending a party that my mother was at during the time. This was her high school party and ever since they met that night, they have been together ever since. My father would tell me early on in their relationship how he would have to earn the respect of my grandfather on my mothers side, because he was African American, and what they were was some what against the norm.

No comments:

Post a Comment